Ways to Develop Effective Management Skills
As a student or employee, you’ve undoubtedly heard (and continue to hear) a lot about management skills. It’s important to note that you don’t have to be a manager in order to develop or improve your management skills. Employees at any level can – and should – foster a sense of ownership for their jobs and strive for personal excellence.
If you’re looking for opportunities of increased responsibility and career advancement, place the trajectory of your career in your own hands. Start developing your management skills with the following five tips:
1. Seek out a business mentor.
Is there someone in your office or company that you hold high respect for and value his or her insight and guidance? What about someone outside of your office that you know through school, a previous job, or through another avenue?
A mentor can help you grow professionally and tap into your potential. Good mentors are great for providing:
- Broad knowledge and industry information
- A trusted sounding board
- Professional opportunities and networks
- Much more
2. Commit to leadership development.
To be an effective, thriving business professional, you need the know-how and skills to make sound business decisions – especially in today’s competitive environment. Leadership development is vital to your growth as an emerging leader because it can:
- Give you a competitive edge in hiring and promotion decisions
- Help you inspire growth and greatness in colleagues
- Keep you agile and allow you to quickly adapt to changes in the marketplace
- Much more
3. Set time aside everyday for continuing education.
You’re busy. Very busy. But if you don’t commit to staying on top of industry news and trends, you’ll fall behind. Additionally, to be a leader and an insightful, resourceful manager, you need to continue to grow your business acumen.
If your office will allow it, follow the 80/20 rule, where you spend 80% of your working hours on your job-specific duties, responsibilities, and tasks. Spend the other 20% on reading industry articles, listening to business podcasts, taking a business class. The sky is the limit. Just make sure you’re spending your time on education endeavors that will benefit your professional growth and your company/team.
4. Ask to shadow your managers.
This tip may seem daunting or uncomfortable, but it can pay off big time. Seeing the business world and your company/role through someone else’s day-to-day has big benefits. Let your manager know that you are looking for a mentor in a management role and would like to develop your management skills.
When you are shadowing, be as attentive as possible, listening, asking questions, discussing situations and tasks in-depth.
5. Attend networking events, conferences & workshops.
To really spread your wings and grow, you’ve got to step out of the office, into uncomfortable situations, and talk to people you’ve never met. We’ve discussed this before, and it still rings true: you need to step out of your comfort zone to achieve your professional potential.
Networking events and industry conferences and workshops will help you:
- Meet new people
- Network and gain new connections
- Learn and stay up-to-date on what’s happening in your industry
- Gain a new perspective
- Much more
Are you ready to achieve your professional potential? Earn the credentials you need to start your dream career. Discover hands-on, top-rated career training programs in business and healthcare at OBC.