Get the Most Out of Your OBC Tutoring Sessions
Do you need additional academic assistance with a certain class? Would you benefit from extra time focused on a particular concept or preparing for a test? Or are you looking to improve study habits and find increased confidence with your studies? Working with a tutor can help you find success in these areas.
At Ohio Business College, we take pride in offering a wide range of free tutoring services to enhance your educational experience, and we encourage every student to attend a specialized tutoring session. Students who attend tutoring benefit from:
- An individualized learning experience
- A study space free of distractions
- A time to enhance study habits and skills
- Additional time to practice new skills and ask important questions
- Increased motivation to succeed
- Improved grades and confidence
To get the most out of tutoring, there are important steps to take before, during, and after each session:
Before a tutoring session:
- Write out your academic goals so your tutor can review them. By openly communicating with your tutor, he or she can ensure that your tutoring session is personalized and geared toward your success.
- Take detailed notes in each class. Then, review your notes and circle the concepts that you want to review with the tutor.
- Complete your homework to the best of your ability. Mark the problems that you’re unsure about so you can go over them with the tutor.
During a tutoring session:
- Be honest. Tell your tutor what you understand, how you work through problems, and what you need help understanding. This will help your tutor identify how you learn best.
- Ask questions. Your tutor may be smart, but he or she is not a mind reader. If you don’t understand something, or you need more clarity, speak up and ask questions.
- Take notes. You will learn new information during your tutoring session, and taking notes will help you retain what was discussed and expand on what you already know.
After a tutoring session:
- Continuously review your notes. Reviewing what you discussed will solidify your understanding of concepts and information.
- Revisit your homework and class notes to redo problems, edit unclear statements, and apply your newfound knowledge.
Want to schedule a tutoring appointment? Our dedicated tutor specializes in accounting, math, word, spreadsheets 1, English, and IT literacy.
OBC tutoring hours are:
- Monday & Tuesday 1:00-5:00
- Wednesday 1:00-6:00
- Thursday 11:00-5:00
- Or by appointment
Contact Tiffany in the student library to set up a tutoring session.