History of Ohio Business College
OBC, one of the top business colleges in Ohio, traces its origins back to 1903 when it was established as Lorain Business College, a private, co-educational school in Lorain, Ohio. The school’s growth took off in the 1980’s by acquiring leading accreditations, opening more campuses, and offering new programs – becoming a premier career training college. By 1998, the college name was officially changed to Ohio Business College.
Today, OBC and its degree programs are more advanced than ever. Follow Ohio Business College’s entire history and evolution below:
- 1903: Lorain Business College is established as a private, co-educational college focused on higher business education. The College was located in downtown Lorain on the corner of Sixth Street and Broadway Avenue.
- 1913 – 1980: The School is operated under the management of C. L. Bair at the same location. Programs offered include Junior Accounting, Secretarial, Comptometer, Stenographic and Keypunch.
- 1980: The Julia Corporation purchases Lorain Business College, and the Lorain campus moves to North Ridge Road in Lorain. When it was purchased, the curriculum consisted of Executive Secretarial, Business Administration, Accounting, Secretarial and Junior Accounting.
- July 11, 1980: The School is authorized to confer Associate degrees in Business.
- December 17, 1980: Lorain Business College becomes accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) as a business school.
- 1982: The School adds Micro-Computer Administration Associate degree program to the curriculum.
- September 27, 1982: The Sandusky Campus opens its doors in the Sandusky Plaza, offering the same programs as the Lorain campus.
- 1986: The School adds Medical Office Secretary diploma program to the curriculum.
- 1987: The Sandusky Campus moves to the San Marco Plaza on Milan Road next to the mall.
- 1989: Lorain Business College adds Data Entry Specialist diploma and Security Officer Training certificate programs to curriculum.
- 1993: The Julia Corporation changes the school name from Lorain Business College to Southeastern Business College to better fit with the schools owned in the southern part of the state.
- October 1997: Tri-State Educational Systems Inc. purchases the College from the Julia Corporation.
- April 1998: The Schools’ names are officially changed to Ohio Business College.
- 2006: The Sandusky Campus moves to its new location on Timber Commons Drive.
- March 2008: The Lorain Campus of OBC relocates to 5095 Waterford Drive in Sheffield Village. Program offerings at this campus are expanded to Medical Assisting.
- March 2009: The Columbus Campus, formerly known as Ohio Institute of Health Careers, becomes Ohio Business College and expands program offerings.
- October 2010: Ohio Business College opens its Trucking Academy, allowing students to obtain training in CDL training.
- May 2012: Ohio Business College opens a Learning Center in Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton Learning Center offers Class A and Class B CDLs, as well as an accounting clerk diploma program.
- August 2012: The Columbus Campus of Ohio Business College relocates to its new facility at 4525 Trueman Blvd in Hilliard, OH.col
- September 2012: The Sandusky Campus celebrates 30 years of education in the Sandusky community.