OBC Alumni Spotlight: Erica Friend
Posted on July 6, 2017
Written by Morgan O'Rourke
Ohio Business College works hard to prepare every student with hands-on, real-world career training so he or she can stand out to employers and quickly become invaluable assets in any professional setting.
So, what’s an OBC program like? Erica Friend, a graduate of OBC’s Medical Administrative Assistant Associate Degree program, gives you a first-hand description as she shares her experiences at OBC and what she’s up to now:
- Why did you decide to continue your education at Ohio Business College?
I was working jobs that didn’t get me to where I wanted to go in life, and, as a mom of three, I needed a change. I knew people who went to OBC and they said it was a great place.
- Why did you enroll in the Medical Administrative Assistant associate degree program?
I believed that I would be a great asset [to the medical field]. Plus, I wanted to try something exciting and fun.
- What have been your favorite things about the Medical Administrative Assistant associate degree program?
I loved knowing that I could have a great career [once I graduated from OBC’s MAA] program and maybe make a difference in the medical field.
- What was the most difficult or challenging thing about the program?
I believe nothing was really challenging, only because I had so many people at OBC who were behind me 100%.
- How did Ohio Business College help you succeed in your studies and accomplish your goals?
Ohio Business College has helped me in so many ways. [The faculty and staff] all encouraged me, showed me that I can do this, and taught me to not give up on myself.
- Tell us about your externship.
I had an amazing externship site at Bonnie Stamatis office in Elyria, Ohio. They were so willing to help me learn new things I didn’t know before. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have been able to put my education to use.
- Do you have a favorite memory about attending OBC? If so, what is it?
Yes, I do. My favorite memory was meeting so many amazing people. I made so many friends from peers to teachers.
- What do you think sets OBC apart from the other career education schools?
OBC offers more one-on-one instruction and interaction with their students. Also, I have never been to a school before where they help you find a job and not just throw you out there on your own. They believe every student can make it.
- What are you up to now?
I’m currently at an amazing job called Quadax Inc. in Middleburg Heights. I’m a prior Authorization Representative, where my job was to try to get insurance companies to approve different procedures. I’m still in training, but so far, the new job and staff are amazing.
- What advice or tips do you have for prospective and current OBC students?
You can do it. Don’t give up on what you want. God has big plans for you.
Is it time to advance your current career or jumpstart your dream career? Let OBC help you achieve your professional goals. Whether in the medical or business field, Ohio Business College has a flexible program that will meet your needs. Explore our career training programs.